Cape Porpoise, Maine is a small coastal village in the town of Kennebunkport, Maine, USA. It is northeast of Kennebunkport Village and Southwest of Goose Rocks Beach. The village occupies the mainland adjacent to Cape Porpoise Harbor. More than a dozen islands protect the deep natural harbor.
Goat Island Light marks the harbor entrance between Goat and Folly islands.
Cape Porpoise was named by explorer Captain John Smith in 1614 during his exploration of New England. English settlers arrived during the 1620s at Cape Porpoise Harbor. The town was first incorporated as "Cape Porpus" under the government of Massachusetts in 1653. During King William's War in 1689, Indians forced the the settlers off the mainland and onto Stage Island until rescued by the English. The town was resettled by 1720.
On August 8, 1782 the English 16 gun Brig Meriam and the schooner Hammond entered the harbor and attempted to take a schooner and sloop as prizes.
The English took the schooner but ran the sloop aground. The town militia had assembled and fired shore cannons and muskets at the English. The English burned the sloop and than returned to their Brig but couldn't escape the harbor because of a growing Southern breeze. Over the next few hours, the English towed and warped the Brig out of the harbor under musket and cannon fire even as they tried to return gun fire. All combined, more than 20 men were killed during the battle, including Captain James Burnham, one of the town leaders.
The village is located on State Highway 9.
Graphic sourced with thanks from http://ebent.files.wordpress.com