Cannon Beach is located west of Highway 101 in the approximately three blocks between the highway and the Pacific Ocean in Clatsop County on the Northern Oregon Coast. Cannon Beach has a population of 1588 (Census 2000). The city was named after a small, iron cannon that came ashore from a shipwrecked U.S. Navy schooner, "The Shark."
Although incorporated in 1955, the Native residents of what is now known as Cannon Beach were visited by William Clark as early as 1806. The area has also been known as Ecola (from the Salish "E cu-la" meaning whale) and Elk Creek.
Cannon Beach, a popular vacation resort, extends for four miles along the Pacific Ocean. The downtown commercial area is approximately four blocks on the north end of Hemlock Street - the main street thru town. It is adorned with bright flowers and lots of places to stop and sit. South of "downtown," is the area known as "midtown." The far south end is known as Tolovana Park.
The Cannon Beach Chamber of Commerce has an information center located at the corner of 2nd and Spruce Streets downtown (one block east of Hemlock) and provides brochures and information about Cannon Beach and the surrounding area.