New Durham is home to the Powder Mill Fish Hatchery. Also located here is the Lions Club's Camp Pride, a camp for children and adults with special needs.
Granted in 1749 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth as Cochecho Township, New Durham was settled in 1750 almost entirely by colonists from Durham. It would be incorporated as New Durham in 1762. An early minister in the town, Reverend Benjamin Randall, founded a new religious denomination in 1780 called the "Free Will Baptists", later known as "Free Baptists". The church has two buildings in the community, the older built in 1819 on New Durham Ridge.