The original Lake Superior and Mississippi Railroad was incorporated in 1863 and began building the first Railroad linking the Twin Cities and Duluth. The last spike was driven near Thompson on August first, 1870, with the Rail line extending from Carlton through Thompson and basically following the St. Louis River through Fond du Lac, Morgan Park, West Duluth and into downtown Duluth. The first passenger trains between the two Cites began operation in September 1870.
The 1.5 hour-trip follows the shoreline of the St. Louis River estuary, Spirit Lake and Mud Lake. This historic route provides a chance to view wildlife in its natural environment, while enjoying the majestic beauty of the river and surrounding area.
Lake Superior & Mississippi Railroad reviews
Login to comment