Eghart House in Port Washington, Ozaukee County, United States | Museum
Welcome to the Eghart House, Museum, Port Washington, United States. The Eghart House originally, the property was owned by Byron and Clara Teed, who built the house in 1872. Judge Leopold Eghart bought the house and property in 1881 moving his family from Cedarburg to Port Washington. Together with his wife Anna, they raised six children. He had been elected County Judge in 1878 and served until his death in 1901. Mrs. Eghart was known for her lilacs which she often sold in Milwaukee. Several lilac bushes still bloom on the property in spring. The Eghart children hosted many parties here in the warmer months. The house stayed in the Eghart Family until the late 1960's when Elsa Eghart died.
The city had plans to raze the property and use it for parking, until a group of women asked the city to preserve it as a link to the city's past. With fundraising and volunteer help, this little house next to the W.J. Neiderkorn Library has been restored and furnished as an authentic example of early Victorian architecture representing the transition period between classic and ornate Victorian. The furnishings are from both the Teed and Eghart Families. Other local families have contributed furnishings from the 1850 to 1900 period also. We look forward to seeing you at The Eghart House, Museum.