Hythe

The town has medieval and Georgian buildings, as well as a Saxon/Norman church on the hill and a seafront promenade. Hythe was once defended by two castles, Saltwood and Lympne. The town hall, a former guildhall, was built in 1794, its fireplace designed by the Adam brothers.

Hythe's market once took place in Market Square (now Red Lion Square) close to where there is now a Farmers' Market every second and fourth Saturday of the month. Hythe has gardening, horse riding, bowling, tennis, cricket, football, squash and sailing clubs. Lord Deedes was patron of Hythe Civic Society, and the hounds of The East Kent Hunt are kennelled in nearby Elham.

Hythe is one of the Cinque Ports, but although it is beside a broad bay on the English Channel, silting removed its harbour hundreds of years ago. Hythe was once the central Cinque Port, between Hastings and New Romney to the west and Dover and Sandwich to the east.

According to Hasted, a French fleet approached Hythe in 1293 and landed 200 men, but "the townsmen came upon them and slew every one of them: upon which the rest of the fleet hoisted sail and made no further attempt".

In 1348 the black death afflicted Hythe, and in 1400 the plague further reduced the population.

 

12 °C


Rain, light rain (0.27 mm last hour)


Wind4.63 m/s
Cloudiness75 %
Temperature (min/max)12/12 °C
Pressure996 hpa
Humidity100 %
Last update: 10 May 2021 @ 04:50

Wikipedia articles for Hythe

There are no reviews available. Be the first to submit a review!


Map of Hythe

 

Do you have, or know of, a company or business that operates in Hythe?

Click here to register and add the company!

Featured Businesses

Featured Businesses