Steckborn

Steckborn is a municipality and the district capital of the district of Steckborn in the canton of Thurgau in Switzerland.

The area around Steckborn was inhabited already in the second century. There are also Roman remains of walls and fortifications. Probably in the ninth century, the village became part of the territory of the monastery of Reichenau. This is the period when it is first documented.

In 1313, Steckborn first was given city rights. Because all ecclesiastical authority ended with the French invasion in 1798, the dominance of Reichenau also ended. Steckborn has been the district capital of its district since the founding of the canton of Thurgau in 1803.

When a new tower was to be built for the church in 1833, a 17-year-old first-year apprentice, Ferdinand Stadler, was given a chance to draw up the plans. In 1848, the Cistercian convent at Feldbach was closed.

In 1890, an embroidery workshop was established in the buildings of the Feldbach convent. This was to grow into the Bernina Sewing Machine Factory, now known as BERNINA International.

 

0 °C


Clouds, scattered clouds


Wind0.43 m/s
Cloudiness29 %
Temperature (min/max)-3/2 °C
Pressure1035 hpa
Humidity78 %
Last update: 19 Jan 2022 @ 00:34

There are no reviews available. Be the first to submit a review!


Find Businesses and Services in Steckborn, Thurgau

Map of Steckborn

 

Do you have, or know of, a company or business that operates in Steckborn?

Click here to register and add the company!

Featured Businesses

Featured Businesses