Rapperswil-Jona is a municipality in the Wahlkreis (constituency) of See-Gaster in the canton of St. Gallen in Switzerland.
It is located on the east shore of Lake Zurich. It is sometimes referred to as Rappi.
In 2003 the municipalities of Rapperswil and Jona merged to form a new political entity. Rapperswil-Jona has a population of 24,400 (17,100 from Jona and 7300 from Rapperswil). This makes it the second largest town in the canton after the capital St. Gallen itself.
The old city is dominated by the castle. The town is considered one of the most significant traffic junctions in the region. The Seedamm, a dam across Lake Zurich, links Rapperswil with Pfäffikon on the other side of the lake. This connection has been part of old pilgrimage routes.
The town's main sights are concentrated in the centre and can be seen while strolling through the medieval alleys. The main sights of Rapperswil are its roses, the castle, the reconstructed wooden bridge to Hurden with its bridge chapel, and a Capuchin monastery. There are also a number of churches, chapels, and the nearby Wurmsbach Abbey.
Rapperswil is often referred to as the "town of roses" (Rosenstadt) because of its extensive displays of roses in three designated parks. No less than 15,000 plants of 600 different kinds may be viewed between June and October. There is also a rose garden in the town center, accessible to blind and disabled people.
The Rapperswil castle probably dates to the 13th century.
Perched atop a hill, it dominates the old town. Deer are kept on lands surrounding the castle. Since 1870 it has been home to the National Polish Museum, created by Polish emigrés (including the castle's lessee and restorer, Count WÅ‚adysÅ‚aw Broel-Plater).
A wooden footbridge led across the lake of Zurich since early centuries. At a later stage the bridge was replaced a by a dam built out of stone. In 2001 a newly-built wooden footbridge was opened alongside the dam for the first 840 metres of the crossing. It was built in the same place as the original bridge and links Rapperswil with the nearby bridge chapel (Heilighüsli) which was built in 1551.