Silvi Marina, just a few miles away of Pescara extending to the south as far as the Piomba river, and to the north to the Cerrano tower, is one of the most famous seaside resorts in Abruzzo, with its fashionable villas of the late nineteenth - early twentieth centuries, and also is famous for its liquorice manufacturing industry. Its territory includes the two centers of Silvi Paese or Silvi Alta, a medieval borough perched on top of a hill, 250 meters above sea level, and Silvi Marina along the coast. Thanks to one of the most beautiful beaches of the Adriatic, to the wealth of hotels, pensions and seasonal rental flats, the town is full of Italian and foreign tourists in summer. From the top of the hill where Silvi Alta rises, once a defense garrison against the Saracens, it is possible to enjoy a spectacular sight on the whole Central Adriatic, sweeping from the Yugoslavian coast to Monte Conero and the Tremiti Islands. There are two hypotheses on the origin of the name Silvi; some scholars derive it from a small temple dedicated to "Silvano", an Italic god protector of flocks and shepherds; others instead from the Latin "Silva", meaning forest. In its territory remains of a Roman settlement were found. Under the Romans, the history of Silvi Marina followed the events of nearby Atri, always faithful to the Empire Capital. After the Samnite wars the Romans started to strengthen the Adriatic coast choosing the hill in Silvi Marina as a natural garrison on the sea. Among the 13th and 14th a defence system based on day and night signals through fires and smoke was developed to face the frequent landings of Turks and pirates. In the 14th century the medieval borough of Castrum Silvi, became a fiefdom of the abbey of San Giovanni in Venere, then passed under the jurisdiction of the Acquaviva family, dukes of Atri.
At the time Silvi Marina was a small poor port of fishermen, who lived in poor cabins and were almost only engaged in fishing, which at that time used to offer an exceptional variety of sea food. Silvi remained a fiefdom of Atri until the arrival of Napoleon, who in 1806 abolished feudalism. With the Unification of Italy Silvi obtained its first mayor. Silvi Alta In 1863 the building of the railway station helped the development of the "Marina" of Silvi, which little by little took a different aspect, thanks mostly investments in the tourist sector. In 1931 the municipal seat was moved from Silvi Paese to Silvi Marina, which within a few years turns into an important seaside resort, becoming the administrative center of all the territory, from the coast to the surrounding hills.
Clouds, overcast clouds
|Temperature (min/max)||22/23 °C|
There are no reviews available. Be the first to submit a review!