It is known for the Chateau of La Napoule, a fortified castle of the 14th century. In the 20th century, Henry Clews Jr (son of the wealthy New York banker Henry Clews) and his wife Marie Clews, entirely renovated the chateau which they then inhabited. Henry Clews Jr was a painter and sculptor whose work still fills the castle, which is now run as a non-profit arts foundation by his descendants.The chateau was once an ancient foundation, then a medieval fortress of the Counts of Villeneuve. Today the Roman Tower (4th century) and the Saracen Tower (11th century) are all that remain of the chateau that was destroyed during the French Revolution. The chateau designed by the Clews has cloister, terrace overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, Gothic dining room, and studio. In the basement of a tower at the chateau the remains of Henry (1876-1937) and Marie (1878-1959) are interred in two tombs that Henry designed and sculpted.
The population of Mandelieu-La Napoule is less than 20,000.