Minnesota Highway 61 serves as a main arterial route in the city.

Gooseberry Falls State Park is located 13 miles (21 km) to the northeast.

In the early years Two Harbors was called Agate Bay. In 1888, when it became incorporated as a village, its common name also changed to Two Harbors. The first residence ever constructed was by Thomas Sexton, he created a fourteen by sixteen foot shack. The early settlers lived in primitive conditions, which was common for both the area and time. Their homes were made of logs and had dirt floors. Diets often consisted of homegrown vegetables and animals that could be caught in the area (at that time there were many dense forests, so deer meat was not an abundant food source). The most common transportation was by boat.

It took only "one short day" to get from Duluth to Two Harbors. A mail route was established between Superior and Grand Marais, and some years later a wagon road was extended to reach Two Harbors. The early 1900s was the first time the town would see twice a week transportation by stage coach between Two Harbors and Duluth, but even then most travel remained by boat. Thirty five logging camps were set up within the vicinity, one of these located on Fourth Avenue. A fuller overview of the towns history may be available by a visit to the Lake County Historical Depot Museum.

 

Featured Businesses

Featured Businesses

Do you have, or know of, a company or business that operates in Two Harbors?

Click here to register and add the company!