Tilghman Island is a census-designated place (CDP) in Talbot County, Maryland, United States.
Tilghman Island was first charted by Captain John Smith in 1608. The name Tilghman Island was derived in 1775 by owner Matthew Tilghman. The island suffered a substantial loss of resources by the British in the War of 1812. In 1890 Steamboat service was established and continued well into the 20th century. Travelers were escorted by horse and ox drawn vehicles to their recreational destinations. The island became-and remains-a popular haven for vacationers who were drawn by superb fishing and genteel accommodations.