The Old House in Lundy, Devon, United Kingdom | Self Catering

 Welcome to The Old House, Lundy, United KingdomThe Old House was built by Sir John Borlase Warren, the young MP for Marlow who owned Lundy for seven years towards the end of the 18th century. Charles Kingsley stayed in the house in 1849 when he gathered material for his description of the island in Westward Ho! The House was much altered in later years and was being used as an hotel when the Landmark Trust took over Lundy in 1969. Plans to convert it into a museum could not be funded, and the Trust finally decided to demolish the south wing and other additions, thereby restoring the building to its former satisfactory Georgian appearance. Buildings adjoining the original house were converted into the tavern with kitchen behind, while the older dairy yard has been transformed into a grassed and sunny square, with the tree in its midst carefully preserved during the building works. The Old House is possibly the most handsome building on the island, in perhaps the best position, and made of the best looking granite. It has been divided, invisibly, into two, with a garden at the back.

The Old House South sleeps 5 people.  Old House South accommodates five people in great style in well proportioned and handsomely furnished rooms, giving onto an enclosed garden which traps the sun.

The Old House North sleeps 2 people.  Old House North provides elegant and comfortable accommodation for two people situated in a very convenient position near the centre of the village.

Click here to view more details on The Old House

Thank you for visiting The Old House in Lundy, Devon, United Kingdom | Self Catering

Information

Location Info

Features

Lundy Shore Office, The Quay, Bideford, Devon, UK
Lundy
England
United Kingdom
01271 863636
Visit Site
Self Catering

Business Industry Details